Producers, processors and installers of the finest Bath stone

Stoke Hill Mine, Midford Lane, Limpley Stoke, Nr Bath BA2 7GP

Tel: 01225 723792 Fax: 01225 722129

Stowe School

Heritage

Bath Stone has been quarried and used since Roman times.

First earliest recorded usage of Stoke Ground Bath Stone is in the Elizabethan country house of Longleat in Wiltshire, home of the Marquis of Bath in 1582.

The stone was shipped to all parts of the country after the Kennet and Avon Canal was constructed in 19th century, and with advent of the railways, great amounts shipped even further.

The mine was requisitioned during the war years 1939-1945, by The Ministry of War, and lay dormant until 1982 when it was discovered and reopened by its present owners.

At the turn of the 20th century there were dozens of mines and quarries producing Bath Stone. Now there is only Stoke Hill Mine in Bath.

Bath Stone Group is very much part of Bath’s Heritage and is part of the fabric of Bath. It supports many local cultural, historical and architectural events and societies.

Bath Stone Group hosts many visits per year to interested parties, and supports the schools of Architecture in Universities of Bath and Oxford.



  • Bristol Law Courts
  • Nat West Bank HQ Oxford
  • Circus Mews, Bath