A History

A history of Bath Stone Group and our mines

A young company with

a history stretching back centuries

line150.png

Bath Stone Group was formed in 2017 when Johnston Quarry Group acquired the original Bath Stone Group, which was founded in 1982, together with a portfolio of assets from Hanson plc. The ‘new’ Bath Stone Group is market leader in the supply of Bath Stone block to the construction community.

Now combined, Bath Stone Group and Johnston Quarry Group are the largest suppliers of block stone into the stone processing community, with annual block sales of over 50,000 tons.

The mines we own and operate have histories and reputations that stretch back centuries.

Stoke Hill Mine

Open cast quarrying at Stoke Hill Mine dates back to the mid-fifteenth century. It is clear it quickly gathered a prestigious name because it was specified for part of the construction of Longleat House in 1568.

Mining at Stoke Hill is likely to have started in the early 19th century. It continued until the outbreak of World War II when the mine was requisitioned by the government and used for ammunition storage. After the war, it remained mothballed until it was acquired by the Bath Stone Group in 1982.